Welcome to our education section
Here you will find all the information you need for a visit, either self-guided or with one of our facilitators. There are downloadable resources to use before, during and after your visit. We look forward to welcoming you!
Roman Day at DeCrypt
In 2018 two significant pieces of worked Roman stone were found under the street right outside Discover DeCrypt. The fragment of cornice and part of an altar may have come from the Roman Basilica, here at the edge of the forum, or from a Temple of Jupiter, which may have stood on the site of the church.
Our Roman Day is in two parts:
- Part 1 Be an Archaeologist for a Day. This worksheet based activity follows the journey of the stones from discovery in the ground to conservation and display, giving pupils the chance at every stage to examine the evidence, consider what they already know, and give their opinion.
- Part 2: Meet the Gods. This roleplay activity explores the relationship the Romans had with their gods. After an introduction to the main gods and godesses and their attributes, pupils take on the roles of god or worshipper and have the chance to give or receive offerings. Worshippers decide which god to approach, what sacrifice or offering to make and what to ask for; the gods decide whether or not to grant the request, based on how appropriate the offering is.
There is nothing like seeing, touching and being immersed in an historical place. Learn about early education in Gloucester in one of the few surviving Tudor schoolrooms. Explore a medieval church and the significant characters connected with it through the centuries.
Visits cost £2.50 per child, which includes:
- downloadable resources available in advance of the visit
- all worksheets and other material for use on the day
- use of all facilities on site including tablets and talking pens
- facilitator for all sessions
- space for lunch/snack breaks
- customisable risk assessment
- free tea/coffee for accompanying staff
Engage with our 360º immersive app
Our app is free to use and provides an immersive 360º view of the whole site including those areas that are not safe to visit in person. You can download the app in advance to your own smartphone or tablet or do it when you get here.
We have 5 tablets to use on site and free wifi too.
Engage with our Audio Trail
Use our talking pens to follow the Rose Petal Trail and find out about the history of the buildings and the people who lived, worked and worshipped here.
We have 7 sets of audio equipment to use on site.